Monday, December 19, 2011

Love for my Mawmaw

So apparently I am completely out of my mind. I thought it would be a brilliant idea to put together baskets of homemade goodies for Jordan's major customers this year for Christmas. Remember how I have a 4 month old? And a new job? Yeah, I guess I didn't remember those things myself. So I've been baking like a fiend in my "spare time" for the past week and in all honestly have really been enjoying it.

I realized that most of the recipes I have been using are from my Mawmaw, and I like to credit her with my love of baking. I have lots of fond memories of being in the kitchen with Mawmaw helping her bake her famous chocolate chip cookies or chocolate pie. She is 92 years old, still lives independently and every time we visit she has baked my favorite cookies and favorite bread. She is amazing. In addition to being the best baker I know, she is just the best person I know. Her life has been dedicated to her family, and she always puts others before herself. She is incredibly faithful and prays for each of her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren every day. Over the course of my life, especially when I'm going through a rough time, I have always found that extremely comforting. She delights in and finds joy in the small things in life. When you are with her, she makes you feel like you're the most important person in the world. I aspire to be as dedicated a wife and mother as she has been. And as good a baker!

Mawmaw is actually in the hospital right now dealing with a reccuring health issue. Prayers for her speedy recovery and return home would be much appreciated!

Here are some of her recipes I've been making lately (and I should note that even when I follow her recipes to the letter, they never taste as good as when she's made them and I'm enjoying them in her company):
Cocoa drops - my favorite cookie
1/2 c butter
3/4 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 c milk
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 t soda
1 t vanilla
4 T cocoa powder
Mix butter and sugar. Add egg and beat. Combine milk and vanilla. Combine flour, soda and cocoa - add alternately to butter mixture with vanilla and milk. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes. Let cool and add icing - mix powdered sugar and milk to desired consistency and spread on cooled cookies.

Chocolate chip banana bread - growing up, this is what I asked my mom for for my birthday breakfast every  year
3 c bisquick
3/4 c sugar
1 egg
3/4 c water
6 oz chocolate chips
1 c mashed ripe bananas (3)
Preheat oven to 350. Combine bisquick and sugar. In small bowl, combine water and egg and beat well. Stir into flour mixture until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips and bananas. Spread into well-greased loaf pan (makes two regular sized loaves or four mini loaves). Bake 60-65 minutes.

Pumpkin bread
3 c sugar
1 c vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
Combine above ingredients. Add 1 can pumpkin.
Combine:
3 1/2 c flour
1 t baking powder
2 t soda
1/2 t ground cloves
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 t allspice
Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture. Add 2/3 water. Mix well and pour into lighty greased and floured loaf pans (two regular sized, plus one mini, or 5 mini). Bake one hour at 350.

Strawberry bread
3 c flour
1 t soda
1 T cinnamon
2 c sugar
3 eggs, well beaten
1 1/4 c vegetable oil
2 (10 oz) packages frozen strawberries (I use fresh if in season)
Combine flour, soda, cinnamon and sugar. Mix and make well in center of dry ingredients. Add eggs and oil, stirring only until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in strawberries. Pour into lightly greased loaf pans (makes two large loaves or four mini). Bake at 350 for one hour.

1 comment:

  1. Totally making chocolate chip banana bread this week! Greg will flip for that.

    ReplyDelete