Monday, December 26, 2011

Merry Christmas!

I love Christmas ... and I'm glad it's over. My little peanut didn't exactly care for Christmas ... her colic reared its ugly head on Christmas day after weeks of lying dormant, and when baby ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Thankfully Addie was fairly content for the morning and early part of the afternoon, and we had an awesome time watching her play with the tissue paper, ribbons and wrapping paper. She was even pretty excited for some of her toys, reaching for them and, of course, putting them in her mouth. She really enjoyed giving her dad a bag full of gifts, including a Starbucks card for when she keeps him up late, Thunder sweatpants for cuddling on the couch while watching the games and a six pack of his favorite beer for when she drives him to drink.

I was so happy to have my mom's family in town for Christmas this year, especially since when they were supposed to be here for Christmas two years ago that whole blizzard thing happened and kept everyone from coming. There is nothing better than watching the people I love delight in my baby girl. I especially loved watching her go from lap to lap during Christmas Eve service. Last Christmas Eve I was very newly pregnant and wondering what it would be like to have a baby this Christmas. It made me teary-eyed to look at her and then think of sweet baby Jesus, a baby as new and innocent and precious as mine, coming into the world to save us all. Having a baby of my own has made me appreciate the real reason for Christmas more than I ever have before.

Speaking of babies, Rebecca and Jeff's girls, Julia (5) and Lila (2), were so fun to spend Christmas Eve and day with. All three sweet babies were snuggling in my bed on Christmas morning. We spent the afternoon at Jordan's sister, Laura's, house, which, unfortunately was when Addie decided she'd had about enough of Christmas. We made quick work of opening stocking and gifts and came home earlier than we had planned. Thankfully a little nap, a bath and some naked kicking time helped baby girl get back to normal.

The day after Christmas has been a quiet one, spent putting gifts away (where in the world will we put all this stuff????), doing laundry and hanging out with a baby who clearly prefers her own house and the two people she likes best. I seriously got weepy when I folded up Addie's Christmas clothes. Sad that she'll never wear them again (and please don't ask if there will be another baby someday who will - I am NOT ready to talk about that). But at the same time, I'm excited about next Christmas with a girl who will be 16 months old - hard to believe - and probably climbing the Christmas tree. As Addie grows up, I hope Jordan and I can do a good job of teaching her why we celebrate Christmas and how to share that love with the people around us. I hope I remember the simplicity of holding my tiny baby in a dim church service, watching the candles flicker and thinking of that newborn baby lying in a manger.

No comments:

Post a Comment