Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Slow-cooker Sunday

The past two Sunday's I've put together one meal in the crockpot and one on top of the stove, and then I've had to do very little cooking throughout the week. Genius. If I do say so myself.

Last week, I made my friend Sara's Crock-Pot Chicken and Dumplings. O. M. G. Some of the best comfort food I've had in a long time. Thick and creamy, and the dumplings, made out of biscuits in can, are delicious. Jordan was a big fan of this one.

I also made my mom's recipe for Doug's Chili Verde #5. I have no idea why it's called that or where she got this recipe. Apparently from someone names Doug who has multiple versions of the recipe. But I do know that it's delicious.
3-4 lb rump roast
1 can beef broth
3-4 fresh jalepenos, seeded and chopped
1 T chili powder
1 chopped onion (I probably use about half as much)
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 C wine
Cook over low heat on stovetop several hours - I think I cooked mine for about 3-4 hours, shredded it with a fork and then let cook another hour or so. This meat is so tender and is excellent as taco filling, on a tostada, on a salad ... would be great in enchiladas, too.

For this week, I cooked a pork shoulder in the crockpot. It was around 3 lbs, and I cooked with worchestershire sauce, liquid smoke, a little chicken stock, garlic powder, onion powder and a little chili powder for about four hours. Tonight we had it over corn cakes (cornbread mix prepared according to directions but cooked like pancakes instead of muffins or sticks) with some North Carolina bbq sauce drizzled over the top. Yum.

My mom made Southern Living's White Lightening Chicken Chili last week and loved it, so naturally I had to try it, too. It was super easy - maybe 10 minutes to prepare and another 10 to cook - and excellent. The avocado-mango salsa on top is a delicious added bonus.

Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you liked the chicken n' dumplings. Total comfort food for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up. I could just hear you saying the part about not knowing where your mom got the recipe, etc. It made me miss you. We need to get together soon! Also, in a little less than 5 months, I will be 4.5 hours closer to you! WOOHOO! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete