Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chickpea cakes

Another of my attempts to be more vegan - chickpea cakes. This recipe, again, from my vegan cousin, Rebecca.
1 can chickpeas (if your name is Jordan Page, someone should probably tell you they are called garbanzo beans so you don't go to three stores looking for them)
1/3 cup green onions
1/3 cup coconut milk (I used Almond milk)
2 tsp evaporated cane sugar (I used the regular stuff)
2/3 cup breadcrumbs, plus 1/4 for coating
1 tsp curry
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cumin
2/3 cup brown rice, cooked

In a food processor, combine the chickpeas and onions and pulse until fairly smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add milk, sugar, 2/3 cup breadcrumbs and spices. Then stir in brown rice. Mold into 10 patties and coat with remaining breadcrumbs. You are supposed to sear them in a bit of oil - but mine were falling apart, so I seared quickly and then finished in the oven.

I served the cakes over fresh spinach and topped with salsa, avacado and pumpkin seeds. Jordan was pretty crazy about these, but I felt like something was missing. I will definitely make them again - maybe increasing the amount of milk (needed more liquid), decreasing the amount of rice and playing around with the spices a bit.

It sure did look pretty!

1 comment:

  1. I did this recipe, as well, and tasty as it was, my plate couldn't compete with the beauty of your photo. (Of course, there is that camera difference.) To keep the patties from falling apart, I didn't turn them over but one time.

    ReplyDelete