Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pies vs baby

I posted briefly about this on Facebook, but the story is too good not to share in detail here as well.

I was feeling a little like supermom yesterday, getting all my Thanksgiving baking/prep done during Addie's naps. I had put my final dishes, two chocolate pecan pies, in the oven about the time she woke from her afternoon nap. We played for awhile and then, glancing quickly at the timer on the pies, showing about 10 minutes left, I realized baby girl needed a diaper change. Apparently I took the diaper off a little too quickly ... she explosi-pooped pretty much everywhere. It was one of those where I was practically standing her on her head, trying to keep her from getting it all over herself ... that didn't so much work. Especially since it was all over me, too. And it was one of those where wipes alone weren't going to cut it. Homegirl needed a bath, which would mark her second of the day. And her darling "my first Thanksgiving"  outfit (as well as pretty much anything else that had been in her path) needed to go immediately in the wash since we were going to see family later that night and she, of course, needed to wear that exact outfit.

So I wiped down the baby and myself, stripped her and the changing pad, left naked girl safely on the changing pad and got the bath ready, starting the washing machine on the way. About 8 minutes left on the pies. Have I mentioned that the pies wouldn't actually be done in 8 minutes, but would need topping added and be placed back in the oven? I gave baby girl the fastest bath in the history of the world. About 4 minutes left on the pies. Got her dressed. Put her on her playmat to hang out so I could finish up the pies and get them back in the oven. Have I also mentioned that I'm about to wet my pants?? I have found that since I've become a mom, I completely don't realize I have to go to the bathroom until I'm about to die. Too many other things going on. So I'm putting the topping on the pies and baby girl is SCREAMING. Time to eat. Naturally. The crying-so-hard-no-sound-is-coming-out kind of cry. I quickly finish the pies, put them back in the oven, run to the bathroom and then give her what she wants. Then I realize the pies will have to come out in 10 minutes ... and there's no way she'll be done eating in 10 minutes. We worked it out.

So end of the story is that baby got clean and fed and was only mildly stressed out, and the outfit was washed and dried in time for dinner with family ... and I'll let you know how overdone the pies are later today. Supermom my foot.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment