Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fish tacos and corn & black bean salad

Since this is my first cooking post, I should explain that I don't really believe in measuring ingredients or following recipes to the letter. When I want to make something new, I usually check out several recipes and then add my own twist. Even though I like to cook, I think dinners, especially during the week, should take no more than 30 minutes to prepare. I don't do super weird/fancy ingredients - I want something realistic with ingredients I'd normally find in my fridge or pantry. And though I like to indulge as much as the next girl, I want something somewhat healthy with lots of color. My mom taught me that a good dinner is a colorful one - if everything on your plate is the same color, you're in trouble. And, Jordan's least favorite part about my cooking, I like to make dinners that last more than one night - he's forever asking me, "how many nights is this supposed to last us??"

For the fish tacos, I marinated four, 4 oz tilapia fillets in a combination of lime juice (probably a couple tablespoons), vinegar (same amount as lime juice), cumin (about a palm-full), chili powder (same), lemon pepper (about half as much as the other spices) honey (about a tablespoon) and a couple dashes of chipotle tabasco sauce. I marinated for a few hours and then baked at 350 for about 10-12 minutes. I made a sauce of sour cream (non-dairy since I'm off dairy due to Addie's colic), lime juice, garlic and onion powder, chopped cilantro, cumin, chili powder and a couple more dashes of the chipotle tabasco. I flaked the fish with a fork, placed atop flour tortillas, added some cabbage/carrot mix and then the sauce.

For a side, we grilled three ears of corn, drained and rinsed a can of black beans, chopped about half a red pepper and added a sauce of balsamic vinegar, lime juice, cilantro, garlic powder and more of the chipotle tabasco.
Everything turned out great - I always know the dinner is a winner if Jordan is so engrossed in eating it that he can't stop to tell me it's good. Good spice on the fish and in the sauce. Some avacado in the sauce or sliced on the tacos would have been a nice addition. I could seriously eat the entire bowl of the salad in one sitting, but I'm pacing myself - it has a great tang from the vinegar and lime and nice smokey flavor from the grilled corn.

Pictures of this dinner would have been nice ... but we ate it before I thought of that. Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment